Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Mass

Go down

The Mass       Empty The Mass

Post by Blue Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:48 pm

The Mass       The_mass-notext

The following is a fragmented log found adrift in Sector 4 space.
Date 6164
Week 1
This is the research log of Biologist Shavi Almada, at research station Alpha68.

This station was built to monitor the odd changes in the ecosystem in this area. The wildlife have exhibited strange behavior ever since the meteor impact approximately two weeks ago.

We've only just begun to set up our equipment. The plants and animals here are definitely acting strangely. Many seem unusually lethargic, even ill. The plants wither and die for no known reason. Perhaps it is some sort of disease?

Week 2
After taking and analyzing several tissue samples, we believe we have isolated the source of the problems. It is indeed a disease, a type of rapidly-mutating bacteria the likes of which we've never seen before. In fact, it may not even be native to this planet at all. Perhaps it had to do with the meteor? It seems very unlikely, in any case.

We will continue to study this bacteria, and find out its weaknesses. If this spreads and jumps species, it could be devastating.

Week 3
The plants and animals have begun to die off. They simply fade away as this disease consumes them. All of our tissue samples are saturated in this bacteria. It is the most virulent infection we have ever seen, with a 100% mortality rate. We now wear hazmat suits during all experiments, and have asked Disease Control to quarantine this whole area.

This coming week, we will hike to the point of the meteor's impact, to trace the bacteria's progress from its source. May the Gods watch over us...

Week 4
We've made several disturbing discoveries this past week. I'm not sure where to begin... perhaps the meteor.

It wasn't a meteor at all. It was a living mass composed entirely of the same kind of bacteria, albeit with distinct differences. To survive the journey through space, and entering our atmosphere, this mass of micro-organisms formed a type of armor plating out of dead tissue. Such rapid and extreme adaptation is extraordinary, but bodes ill for us as we attempt to combat it. I'm beginning to doubt that we even have the technology or means to contain it, let alone destroy it.

To make matters worse, it has become airborne and jumped species. Talis tore a hole in his hazmat suit during the hike, and within hours, was showing signs of lethargia. At least this will allow us to track the progress of the disease in a Tavlar body. I pray to the Gods that Disease Control can keep thïs contaïned.

Week 5
Talis is dead. In mere days, he was tr↕nsformed from a healthy Tavlar into a clump of the bacteria. It ate him alive and converted his body into more of itself. I've never seen anything like it. It's horrifying, but at the same time, I can't help but feel a sense of awe at the amazing power of these bacteria. The adaptability and overwhelming strength of them. I fear for the future.

Week 9
We are learning more about the bacteria with each passing day. It is capable of mutating at an unprecedented rate, adapting itself to suit whatever environment it needs to survive in. It has its limits, but they are very extreme. Heat se←ms to kill it effectively, provided there isn't enough of the mass to form a heat shield like in the meteor. Cold merely puts it in a deathlike state, a sort of stasis, that it can wake up from easily. Radiation has some effects, such as bizarre mutations and tumor-like growths, but nothing fatal. A hindrance at best.

It can takε energy from virtually any source. Sunlight, organic materials, even heat. We can't begin to fathom just how it makes use of so many different types of energy, but given its incredible survivability, it would have to. Despite its alien origins, it also seems to be perfectly adapted to infecting the native life forms of this planet. It seems impossible, but somehow it has altered its molecular structure to be compatible. Again, I am struck with a sense of awe. I look at the samples and see perfection. This is the perfect life form. The apex predator. It may be the end of life as we know it.

Week 12
Word has reached us that the infection has spread to the general po≈ulation. Disease Control is doing everything they can to contain its spread, but to no avail. It is airborne and waterborne. It lives in our f↔od, our drink, our clothes, and the very air we breathe. Even now, I'm beginning to feel the onset of lethargia, as my organs begin to fail from being consumed and converted. I should be scared, but I'm not. It's the strangest feeling, a sort of acceptance. Excitement, even. It is difficult to describe.

In the meantime, I have continued to study the bacteria. Each cell has a network of nerve tissue, that all links up dynamically. Each cell is like a neuron, and each mass like a brain. Somehow it is completely coordinated, as if each part is connected as a wh╦le. One giant mind. I can feel it calling to me as I write. It wants me to join, and I am inclined to accept.

Week [µ
My fellow re«earchers could not be made to see reas╜n. They had to be forced to join. The mass is p╦eased with me, and has prepar╞d itself.

I am ready.

OOC Information

Traits
Psychic Presence
The Mass has a formidable psychic presence, that can adversely affect psychic beings. It can also subtly influence the minds of certain species it has adapted to, calling them to join it.
Collective Mind
The more Mass there is in an area, the more intelligent it becomes. Its psychic influence also becomes harder to resist. Since each piece is essentially the same organism, Mass can not be made to rebel.

Technology/Abilities
Defense: Tech 1
The Mass can reconfigure itself to defend against attacks of Tech 1. This takes time, however, and enemies could take advantage of the delayed response. Its primary defense is forming armor plating, though it can also shoot off dozens of small chunks of itself to damage fighters and deter missiles.
Offense: Tech 1
The Mass can form itself into hardened, needle-like shapes that can penetrate defenses of Tech 1. Once inside a ship, it will spread to the crew and begin consumption. Its effectiveness relies primarily on the size and quantity of Mass, and the target ship size and defense level. Alternatively, the Mass can try and engulf a ship, cracking it open and swallowing its contents (or dissolving it over a long period of time). This obviously requires an amount of Mass proportional to the ship's size.
Scanners: Tech 1
The Mass can form sensory organs capable of perceiving many different wavelengths and seeing across huge distances. The Mass can take technological devices and artifacts into itself to use or learn from.
Energy: Tech 1
The Mass is currently an extremely efficient organism that processes tremendous amounts of power. However, even greater means of gathering energy have yet to be unlocked. The Mass can make use of the Yirridium molecule as fuel and sustenance.
Sublight Propulsion
Globules of Mass propel themselves by ejecting waste materials and gas out from behind them. They can also synthesize volatile chemicals to use as a type of rocket fuel, for quick boosts. The Mass can make use of the Yirridium molecule as fuel and sustenance.
Galactic Navigation: Tech 1
The Mass has achieved FTL travel by using its psychic abilities to enter subspace, mimicking a hyperdrive.
Infectiousness: Humans, Tavlar
The Mass will begin adapting to a race when it encounters it for the first time. The more of a race it absorbs, the better the adaptation, and the better it is able to combat these species. The name of a race that has been perfectly adapted to will appear green. Otherwise, it will appear red.
Mimicry: Humans, Tavlar
The Mass can mimic members of a previously encountered species. Initially, this is a crude mimicry at best, as the copies will be unable to speak and have no hair. As it adapts further, this ability will grow.

Controlled Planets
Tavlia
The Mass       Tavlia
As seen prior to infection

Infection Level: 100%
The planet's entire biomass has been consumed. The surface and oceans are almost completely coated in the Mass.

Last edited by Blue on Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Blue
Blue
Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum